Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 13352 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Introduction
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2017, 10:01:25 AM »
I think Col is referring to "Slug", a caveman character Andrew and I produced for  Knave magazine back in the day. There were several  pieces of original artwork from the strip adorning the walls of Foreigners bar in Dundee---a place Col confesses to frequenting around that time. The strip ran for several years and was suitably disgusting for the magazine it appeared in.
I am, indeed, a Dundee United supporter, as was Hamish in the Beau Peep strip. I vaguely recall writing a series of scripts where Beau and Dennis were playing football. Beau was pretending to be someone like Bobby Charlton while Dennis was pretending to be Sammy Davis Junior. I may have just come back from Foreigners when I wrote that.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2017, 10:32:10 AM »
 ;D

Ah, yes - the third possibility...probability, even. It escaped me, because I obviously never saw it in its published format...obviously!

I do recall the occasional visit to Foreigners myself back then, however, and the added pleasure of the gallery of framed cartoons on show. I even remember a beer-through-nose moment when I first saw the one involving a wishing well...  ;D

Sammy Davis Junior would have been a cracking wee tanner-ba' winger, I bet.
I apologise, in advance.

colcool007

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2017, 06:40:31 PM »
Yo, Col! Where have you been? No note from your mother, nothing!
I followed Dennis to the bar and someone said Make Him Pay! I have been looking for him ever since!

Quote from: Tarquin Thunderthighs lll
'Big Uggy' - caveboy character plus pet dinosaur, Dopey (Dokus...geddit?), in the Topper. Certainly around in the 70s, possibly 80s as reprints.

Or Klogg, a football-playing caveman, invented, written and drawn originally by Roger, and which I had the great pleasure and privilege to ghost in its final years. Can't recall the actual publication it appeared in (Roger?), but it was almost certainly soccer-related.
I think Klogg kicked off in Scoop in the late 1970s or early 1980s and then got a free transfer to the Football Picture Story Monthly in 1986 along with Subbie, Ghoulie and Jon Wotson.

And thanks to Roger, we know it was Caveman Slug with his first and only appearance on the internet!  I must admit that I would laugh like a drain at the stories and I was over the moon when I saw the regular gig in the Daily Star as it was one of the first times that I was able to find out the credits for some of the work in D C Thomsons.  Andrew's style was so recognisable that you could spot it when he was doing the spot illustrations and some of the fonts.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2017, 09:47:21 AM »
One evening, I popped into Foreigners and noticed that someone had attached a sticker to one of our cartoons. It read "This material is offensive to women". I was deeply upset about this as my intention was to offend both genders.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2017, 10:56:28 AM »
Well, that was the whole point. If you'd succeeded in offending me too, I wouldn't have used the sticker.  :\
I apologise, in advance.