Author Topic: Beau Peep (1978-2016).  (Read 28407 times)

Rob Baker

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:12:01 PM by Rob Baker »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Beau Peep (1978-2016).
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 06:11:59 PM »
I found the Italian take on the situation very moving.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 07:33:11 PM »
Did you translate it?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 07:45:51 PM »
No, but I've seen The Godfather.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 07:51:03 PM »
 ;D

Do you deal with your wife in the same way?

MRS KETTLE: Are you listening to me?

MR KETTLE: No, but I've seen The Exorcist.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 10:29:23 PM »
So who owns the copyright on the Beau Peep strips now?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 09:41:42 AM »
Well, the rights to the characters belong to Andrew and me. I'm not sure about the material that has already been published in the Star---something we'll have to sort out but, hopefully, there won't be a problem.

Rob Baker

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 01:53:55 PM »
Well, Beau is gone. 

He wasn’t in Saturday’s paper (so no conclusion to last week’s series), and nothing today.   

I’m more than a little miffed that the D.Star never even had the curtesy to explain his absence to his fans, let alone acknowledge Mr K and Mr C for 37-odd years of loyal service.  Having said that, the Mirror dropped Horace without any comment either.   Pig ignorant Disrespectful, I call it.

Try and keep smiling Roger.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:51:57 PM by Rob Baker »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 06:47:55 PM »
Thanks, Rob.
I must admit that I was slightly disappointed, although not surprised, to receive no word of thanks for 38 years of work from the editor at The Star or, indeed, anyone else there. The only letter we got was a pretty bland notification of Beau Peep being dropped. Unlike the journalists in the newspaper business, we don't get a golden handshake---that would have eased the pain!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 08:44:10 PM »
Can I change the sign to Daily Drivel now?

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »
Having had time to take stock of this, it's no easier to accept. Beau Peep has been a small, but immensely enjoyable part on my life for so many years. I think I've said this before, but it is the only cartoon that makes me laugh out loud, and indeed within (whats now left) of the the family, we still have a chortle about when my good lady fell out with me for reading one of the books at Xmas, resulting in me dissolving into tears and gales of laughter during her programmes, bless her!
It has been a much needed pick me up for thousands, I'm sure, and I'm guessing that like a lot of other people it was the first page (and sometimes the only page!) I went to in the paper. There can be no greater badge of honour than to bring smiles and laughter to countless thousands/millions of people over the years. That is a gift. That is a special thing. That is something that you and Andrew, should pat yourselves on the back for every single day, Roger.
Its a shame that the paper doesn't realise that rather than battening down the hatches, they are probably guilty of increasing the leak, as I'm sure this will affect the rapidly dwindling sales even more. Hell mend them, as they say.
It was my love of the strip the eventually led me to here, and I wish it had sooner. Without a word of a lie, this board has seen me through some of life's challenges recently. I have always been able to come on, have a giggle and let life get just that little bit lighter than what it was. You all have my thanks for that.
Without Beau Peep, I would never have made an acquaintance I am now delighted to call a friend (I suppose !!   ;D), nor would I ever have had that smashing day with Tarks, Vultch, Mince  and family of Mince. A most delightful time of discussion and wit...and Mince.

I'm sure there will still be plenty to get on with, but it is sad that the strip has been dropped. For myself, there is that little pang knowing that there will be no knew material (unless you want to keep it going and post it to me...that would work !), but also the delight in having a nice pile of BP books to fall back on.

My thanks to you and Andrew for the last umpteen years. It was a great run of total brilliance and unbeatable quality.

(y)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 06:09:43 PM »
Many thanks, Sandy.

Egg

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 12:27:27 PM »
You go away for a couple of weeks and get back to this!

Irrespective of whether it is the end or not, having been with Peep from the very start, I'd also like to add my thanks to Roger and Andrew for some real belly laugh moments over the years.

Best wishes to you both.  (y)

colcool007

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2019, 11:06:00 AM »
About three weeks ago, Andrew and I were informed that Beau Peep would be cut from The Star. The news arrived just over a year after The Mirror dropped our Horace strip and the reasons given are exactly the same. The newspaper industry is in deep financial trouble and anything that isn't considered "essential" is being sacrificed. Rather than the editorial staff, the money men are behind all these decisions and, to be honest, I wasn't surprised when the letter arrived. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad---the strip has been the dominant factor in my life. I was 24 years old when I came up with the idea and 27 years old when it was first published. If you'd told me then that it would remain in print until I was a 65 year old pensioner, I'd never have believed you. I am HUGELY fortunate and HUGELY grateful for the career I've had. In total, my Horace and Beau Peep strips have lasted for 64 years and, when you throw in my 11 years of writing Andy Capp, I simply have no grounds for even the mildest of complaints. I must admit that I find my current situation extremely weird. For a long, long time, my life has been consumed with thinking up daft ideas for daft, little cartoon characters. Overnight, this has come to an end and it's been more than a little difficult to adjust. As I think I've mentioned, I've been writing a book for some time so this will allow me to get my head down and finish the damn thing. I'd also (look away, Mince) like to write some stuff for football magazines. On top of that, me and Tarks will, hopefully, continue to produce material for an American website.
I'm not sure of the exact date but I'm led to believe that Beau Peep will end at the beginning of December. Of course, something might happen and those daft, little cartoon characters may reappear somewhere else---but I doubt it.
Thank you a million times for your support. I will miss that silly bugger.
Roger.
P.S. If my book ever gets published, don't worry. I will plug the hell out of it on here.
I am doing an article on Beau Peep for ComicScene.  Is it OK to quote part of this?  Also, is it OK to use two or three of the strips to illustrate the article?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2019, 12:39:20 PM »
No problem, Col.