Author Topic: On the move, on the move...  (Read 6055 times)

Sandy Buttcheeks

On the move, on the move...
« on: May 18, 2017, 12:05:16 AM »
So after many years in our current abode, the Buttcheeks brigade are moving house back to my ancestral seat. 44 years after first setting foot in the place as a child, I now find myself shortly taking up residence in what was my late father and mothers house. We have over the last several months tweaked, tarted up and renovated the old place to our own dubious tastes. It's been a strange time.

Throwing out some of the stuff that my mother, and indeed my father kept for memories has been nothing short of soul destroying. Many things were kept, but sadly some just couldn't be kept. I now understand the meaning of priceless. It's not that things are expensive to replace, it's that they can't be replaced. But change comes and times move on.

I'm sure the Auld Buttcheeks would approve of keeping the place and of what we've done to it.

I just wish they could see it.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: On the move, on the move...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »
Good luck in your new/old abode, Sandy. Look back fondly on the old memories and enjoy creating new ones.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 10:04:18 AM »
Your kids will feel the same when they have to get rid of your diving gear and the hidden stash of women's underwear that you routinely wear under the diving gear. Of course, they'll treasure the game of Stupidemic that they'll inherit.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:11:35 AM »
Slàinte mhath! [klink]
I apologise, in advance.

Redundant

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 10:57:19 AM »
Good fortune my friend.   I occasionally look at all the trappings of my life so far, and try and figure out what will be the first to go!   It's hard to let go some of the "stuff" of life, it's been about 47 years since my mum died, and I still have some of the terrible music albums she used to love.  Do any of you remember the albums that used to get released featuring recent songs but not the original artists?   Plus there's the Peters & Lee single "Welcome Home".  The first time I came home on leave from the navy my mum had me go back outside, wait, and then go inside again, all so she could put this single on the record player, and on my next leave we did the same thing.  I wish I could have heard it many more times even if it made me cringe, but that's not how it worked out.

I am sure the Auld Buttcheeks would approve, and that the house that's already a home will absorb the new memories along with the old.  Celebrate it well!

Diamond Lil

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »
Be happy

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »
Do any of you remember the albums that used to get released featuring recent songs but not the original artists?

Worse than that, I had one that was "Songs Of Eurovision", by the 'even worse than the original artists'! I was very young...

Plus there's the Peters & Lee single "Welcome Home".  The first time I came home on leave from the navy my mum had me go back outside, wait, and then go inside again, all so she could put this single on the record player, and on my next leave we did the same thing...

;D  Just be thankful the old oak tree wasn't adorned with a hundred yellow ribbons!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »
That must be a nice feeling.  A couple of years ago I looked up the two homes I lived in when I was a child on google maps (with photos) even that was cool. Hope you have lots of happy times in your old home.

I too have been trying to sort out junk. I have my own issues but I also have adult children who have been doing the Uni thing so they are not quite gone as far as their own place for their stuff so I have a room in the basement packed with their things - I'm sure when it comes to actually moving their things to their nice tidy new homes they will chuck it or give most away.

I spent a lot of time last summer clearing things out to the point that the house sounded hollow. Still have a ways to go. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Redundant

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 06:22:03 PM »

Worse than that, I had one that was "Songs Of Eurovision", by the 'even worse than the original artists'! I was very young...

Oh dear...oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...I...It's...but...no, sorry I just can't...I mean, it was okay when it was my mother but now...I need a drink...

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 09:59:44 PM »
Good fortune my friend.   I occasionally look at all the trappings of my life so far, and try and figure out what will be the first to go!   It's hard to let go some of the "stuff" of life, it's been about 47 years since my mum died, and I still have some of the terrible music albums she used to love.  Do any of you remember the albums that used to get released featuring recent songs but not the original artists?   Plus there's the Peters & Lee single "Welcome Home".  The first time I came home on leave from the navy my mum had me go back outside, wait, and then go inside again, all so she could put this single on the record player, and on my next leave we did the same thing.  I wish I could have heard it many more times even if it made me cringe, but that's not how it worked out.

I am sure the Auld Buttcheeks would approve, and that the house that's already a home will absorb the new memories along with the old.  Celebrate it well!
Coincidentally, Red, It's been 47 years since my father died. (And Diamond Lil's, of course). We were lucky enough to inherit some records by the likes of Fats Waller, Django Rheinhardt and Jean Sablon. Despite this illustrious musical background, my sister still insisted on listening to Cliff Richard, Richard Chamberlain and Neil Diamond. I went for The Who and The Kinks and I still say that Ray Davies is one of the greatest songwriters of all time.
I also love traditional songs being approached in an original way. Have I posted the wonderful Bluegrass version of "Rocket Man" before?  If I have, then apologies. If not, then check out my next post.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 10:20:20 PM »

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 12:37:19 AM »
Your kids will feel the same when they have to get rid of your diving gear and the hidden stash of women's underwear that you routinely wear under the diving gear. Of course, they'll treasure the game of Stupidemic that they'll inherit.

Mince knows me so well, though clearly the same can't be said of his knowledge of my children!

Thank you one and all, a new dawn awaits. I just hope the nesting starlings bugger off or it'll be a noisy one!!

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »
And here it is...

https://youtu.be/WdAyO1_0noM

I rather enjoyed that, Roger - can't wait till they cover 'Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting'.

Richard Chamberlain sang? I only remember him...er...acting. One of the best things about the Interweb is you can discover (as I just have) things you never knew existed, like recordings of Richard Chamberlain singing 'Love Me Tender'. It's also one of the worst things about the Interweb. Sorry, Lil!

Neil Diamond I can understand. And in fact, Roger will tell you that he could probably hear me belting out 'Sweet Caroline', along with several thousand others, as St Johnstone lifted the Scottish Cup three years ago this week. Although I suspect he may possibly have switched the telly off by that point...by throwing a brick at it.
I apologise, in advance.

Redundant

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 10:45:34 AM »

...by the likes of Fats Waller, Django Rheinhardt and Jean Sablon. Despite this illustrious musical background, my sister still insisted on listening to Cliff Richard, Richard Chamberlain and Neil Diamond. I went for The Who and The Kinks and I still say that Ray Davies is one of the greatest songwriters of all time.
I also love traditional songs being approached in an original way. Have I posted the wonderful Bluegrass version of "Rocket Man" before?  If I have, then apologies. If not, then check out my next post.

I think my mother's albums [in the attic along with all my own vinyl] were called Top of the Pops or something similar, but I think you definitely got the better part of the deal!   My father and I were not close, by any means, but I did inherit some good albums, mostly opera including a superb double album of Enrico Caruso.

I loved Rocket Man!   I like hearing different versions of familiar songs, so here's a couple of my favourites.   If the first is a repeat, my apologies also, I found this and bought the album for my wife, who is a fan of Pink Floyd:

https://youtu.be/IUGsb1-HW7o?list=PLd0unAlmdhcc7cA2073fkCf6b2uvL8Dj_

The second is one of my heroes performing one of my favourite songs:

https://youtu.be/rISCoFi5Fzk

Diamond Lil

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »
Tarqs you should have heard him sing 'Hi lili hi lo'.....a thing of beauty.  Glad to say I was a member of his fan club where we were all encouraged to send him birthday greetings on 31 March.