Author Topic: The top 100 movies.  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
The top 100 movies.
« on: June 09, 2017, 08:52:10 PM »
I see that a recent poll has decided The Godfather is the best film of all time. While my own personal favourite will remain Naughty Nina's Campus Frolics, I can understand the choice. The Godfather is an excellent film but the whole question of selecting "the best" is simply not possible. There is no way of objectively measuring the quality of a movie as it will always boil down to a matter of individual taste. We've talked often on this site about favourite films and I'm using this recent poll as an excuse to return to the subject. I've always loved The Graduate and it comfortably gets into my top ten, yet it failed to get a mention in the top 100 of that recent poll. Another of my absolute favourites, Stand By Me, scraped in by the skin of its teeth at number 100. The Princess Bride, just a glorious film AND book, did marginally better at number 93, but well behind the likes of Hot Fuzz (71) and Terminator 2: Judgement Day (25). And not a mention of Ulzana's Raid, Burt Lancaster's brilliant Western.
These polls are rubbish, I tell ya.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: The top 100 movies.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »
I actually didn't think much of Stand By Me. Hot Fuzz was passable. I'll look into Ulzana's Raid, but John Landis apparently likes it.

Oh, and Naughty Nina has a website now.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 09:52:10 PM »
Gregory's Girl.
I apologise, in advance.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 12:03:13 AM »
Highlander and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 06:40:25 AM »
A couple of months ago, I borrowed the Godfather trilogy from the library and watched it for the very first time, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did - the story draws you in for sure as does the cinematography, it didn't seem dated at all.

The only movie I have watched three times on Netflix is The Hunt for the Wilderpeople - I should probably buy that one lol I think it is the kind of movie we would watch every Christmas. 

Another movie I borrowed a while back was the African Queen - I have seen that several times before but this one was a re-mastered version and it was so much better with the special effects polished up so the river scenes looked more realistic.

I love the movies :-)

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad