Author Topic: Photographic ramble...  (Read 2862 times)

Redundant

Photographic ramble...
« on: July 30, 2017, 12:43:07 PM »
...The Manx Electric Railway has been running since 1893, and by 1899 it had stretched just under eighteen miles along the eastern coastline of the Island from Douglas to Ramsey.  The MER also runs from the midway point between the two [a town called Laxey] to the top of the Islands only mountain, Snaefell with a height of 2,037 feet. Most of the rolling stock and infrastructure dates back to the Victorian and Edwardian era.

The site of St Adamanan’s Church, or Lonan Old Church as it is also known, dates back to the fifth century.  Irish missionary monks set up small shelters called “Keeills” and they worked on local farms for food, whilst serving as priests to the area.    Circa 1188, the then named  “The Chapel by the Shore” or “Keeill-ny-Traie” in Manx, was rebuilt and eventually re-named.  The name comes from an Abbott of Iona Abbey, which is located on the Isle of Iona, just off the Isle of Mull on the west coast of Scotland.

This a view to the West from the church, looking towards Ireland.

This is the public footpath to Cashtal Yn Ard, as you can see it doesn’t seem to have had much traffic lately! My feet were last on this pathway over forty years ago.

Cashtal Yn Ard is the remains of a burial site dating back to the New Stone Age, circa 1800 BC.

Originally a stone covered cairn, it consists of an open forecourt with a portal leading to five burial chambers within the cairn itself.

This is a view from Cashtal Yn Ard, looking South East towards Wales.

And this is a river!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:43:51 PM by Redundant »

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Photographic ramble...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »
Great photos once again, Red. I've always been fascinated by standing stones---there's summit spooky about them.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 06:45:28 PM »
I had never even considered what life is like on the Isle of Manx - thanks for the views. Looks like there is lots there for tourists.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »
Great photos once again, Red. I've always been fascinated by standing stones---there's summit spooky about them.

Have you seen the children's series called Children of the Stones?

Redundant

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 07:52:42 PM »

I agree on the standing stones, although to be fair I get the same spooky feeling from most old stuff, castles, standing stones, old abandoned buildings...list is endless. To stand on the battlements of a Castle, and to imagine those that have gone before you, who walked the same battlements for very different reasons. Cashtal Yn Ard evokes memories for me both old and not so old, the people who built it, the folks who were buried there, and a group of friends who visited the site over forty years ago and who no longer know each other.

I had never even considered what life is like on the Isle of Manx - thanks for the views. Looks like there is lots there for tourists.

There is quite a lot to see on the Island, I suspect the fact it is all nicely condensed on a relatively small Island is part of the attraction.  In its heyday the Isle of Man's tourist industry was pretty impress, most of the folks from the North of England, Ireland, Scotland etc probably came here on holiday. Then along came cheap package holidays to Spain and beyond, and all the tourists disappeared. Now life here is a tad more sedate, with occasional flurries of excitement to keep things interesting. but the Manx are a stubborn lot, we keep clinging to our rock, silent tears running down our cheeks as yet another pub closes its doors for the last time. Cheers!

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 09:04:19 PM »

Have you seen the children's series called Children of the Stones?
I don't think so although the name rings a bell.
I remember when I was writing freelance for children's comics, I came up with a story about a mysterious sect called "The Senegon". This was a tortuous anagram of Stonehenge and their secret hiding place was revealed when the child hero of the story worked it out. I failed to sell the idea, strangely enough.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 07:48:23 AM »
Now, if you had considered that the Neogene is a geologic (i.e. STONE) period that spans 20.45 million years from the end of the Paleogene Period 23.03 million years ago to the beginning of the present Quaternary Period, you would have noticed the word 'Neogene' in 'Stonehenge'. You then could have had Neogene ... er ... Sth.

Or you could have gone with Any Ghost, which admittedly is not an anagram of Stonehenge, until the child hero realises it's Enne E Ghost, where Enne is the Estonian for 'Before', so then it means . . . Okay, maybe I would have had as little success as you.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »
I've been on that railway during a great holiday... lovely island..... and islanders

Redundant

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
I've been on that railway during a great holiday... lovely island..... and islanders

Glad you enjoyed your holiday here, and thanks for the kind words, we do our best!  I grew up during the great days of tourism, both as a kid and as a young teen, and have great memories of it all, packed beaches, parades and carnivals, fairgrounds and brilliant go-karts, oh yes, there were lots of girls too I seem to remember...