Author Topic: Fatal error number 36  (Read 2818 times)

Redundant

Fatal error number 36
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:31:17 PM »
The time...several hours ago, the place...in the kitchen, the setup begins...

"You haven't forgot what you said you would do today have you?"  The seemingly innocent question is posed, to the not quite wide awake husband, sitting at the kitchen table minding his own business, drinking the first coffee of the day and quietly reading a book...

"Do you mean fixing the garden light, broken by your enthusiastic use of the strimmer?" he  replied, "Or do you mean my offer to  scrub out the oven?".   "Or perhaps you meant..." and on and on he went, slowly digging a bigger and deeper hole for himself until finally looking in to his wife's smiling face and sparkling eyes, and realising he was undone, that the correct answer should have been "For the life of me it appears I have forgotten darling, would you mind awfully reminding me?"

Several jobs later, and not a page further in what happens to be a very good book, he finds himself completely knackered, so much for a quiet Sunday...

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: Fatal error number 36
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
How the conversation should have gone:

HER: You haven't forgot what you said you would do today have you?

HIM: Yep, and it's going to stay that way.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 04:42:27 PM »
This wouldn't happen in my house. Being useless, I'm never asked to do anything.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 07:47:20 PM »
This wouldn't happen in my house. Being useless, I'm never asked to do anything.

... suddenly wonders whether Roger's inability to use a laptop with proficiency and his general all-round uselessness is entirely a ruse, the life-skill version of 'making a crap coffee so that you're never asked again ... but quickly abandons the flight of fancy.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 04:13:02 AM »
The time...several hours ago, the place...in the kitchen, the setup begins...

"You haven't forgot what you said you would do today have you?"  The seemingly innocent question is posed, to the not quite wide awake husband, sitting at the kitchen table minding his own business, drinking the first coffee of the day and quietly reading a book...

"Do you mean fixing the garden light, broken by your enthusiastic use of the strimmer?" he  replied, "Or do you mean my offer to  scrub out the oven?".   "Or perhaps you meant..." and on and on he went, slowly digging a bigger and deeper hole for himself until finally looking in to his wife's smiling face and sparkling eyes, and realising he was undone, that the correct answer should have been "For the life of me it appears I have forgotten darling, would you mind awfully reminding me?"

Several jobs later, and not a page further in what happens to be a very good book, he finds himself completely knackered, so much for a quiet Sunday...

Have you considered borrowing books on CDs from the library - I have painted walls and weeded the garden while still listening to my stories :-)
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 11:25:53 AM »

... suddenly wonders whether Roger's inability to use a laptop with proficiency and his general all-round uselessness is entirely a ruse, the life-skill version of 'making a crap coffee so that you're never asked again ... but quickly abandons the flight of fancy.

Blimey - that penny took a long time to drop...

I apologise, in advance.

Redundant

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »

Well that makes me feel so much better...

Have you considered borrowing books on CDs from the library - I have painted walls and weeded the garden while still listening to my stories :-)

Sadly I can't abide audio books, unless they are narrated by Richard Burton or James Earl Jones which I am guessing rather limits my choice, and let's not get started on how your very ""kind" suggestion clearly leads to more work, not less...

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 03:12:19 AM »
I find it helps with those sorts of jobs, not to think of them as "work" but "putsing around".
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad