Author Topic: Why I've never driven.  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Why I've never driven.
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:03:30 PM »
Had my father been alive, today would have been his 100th birthday. I'd love to say that he just missed it but, sadly, he came up some 48 years short. He was 52 when he died and I was 18. Needless to say, I've been doing some reminiscing today and have come up with many fond memories. One of those follows...
I was about 9 years old and at Dalwhinnie Primary School in the Highlands of Scotland. One Wednesday, St. Johnstone were playing a  match 57 miles South in Perth. (My father and I were football daft.) The kick-off was at 5 p.m. and I finished school at 4. At that time, the A9 road to Perth was narrow, twisty and busy. My father picked me up from school and we were sitting in St. Johnstone's stadium at 4.55 p.m.
And that's why I have never driven!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: Why I've never driven.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:27:53 PM »
That's an average of 62mph, probably even more given that the last part involved you queuing for a ticket and walking into the stadium.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 05:30:01 PM »
It is never too late to start - you could drive a wee bit slower if you liked.  :)
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

peter

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 01:03:54 PM »
are the good old days when you never saw another car in the highlands for days