Author Topic: School Leaving Age  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
School Leaving Age
« on: September 03, 2017, 05:46:46 PM »
From the government website:

You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.

You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:

* stay in full-time education, for example at a college
  * start an apprenticeship or traineeship
  * spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

Or, homeschool and ignore all of the above.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:52:53 AM by Mince »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: School Leaving Age
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:21:52 AM »
At what age can you quit being home-schooled? Is there a legal age that must be adhered to?

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »
I assume you would have to homeschool (or unschool) until the child is 18 to avoid having to deal with government interference. However, given that there are no predetermined hours or times that you must tutor your child at home, and that you do not need to conform to the National Curriculum or undertake examinations or SATs, I wonder how the government could effectively check.

Other oddities are that if your child is expelled from school, he or she is not allowed during school hours to be in public places, unless you decide to immediately homeschool. And those parents wishing to take their child out of school for a three-month holiday should just write a letter saying they are homeschooling their child and then return their child to school when they are back from holiday.

I have no idea what the rules are governing children who pass their A-levels by age 10. Are they then allowed to play on their Xbox for the next eight years without further schooling? Again, I see no way that the government could check anyway.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:55:10 AM by Mince »

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 04:47:27 PM »
They have their methods...

https://youtu.be/zUnhfvGdmmw
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 06:15:30 PM »
If only that were far from the truth . . .