Author Topic: Nostalgia is a wonderful thing...  (Read 3094 times)

Redundant

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing...
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:37:37 PM »
...especially when your new, or not so new, job is driving you demented [lot a long drive].   I watched an old favourite tonight, "Stairway to Heaven", released in 1946 and starring another old favourite, David Niven.   I was never really an enthusiast for autobiographies, but this man managed to produce two of the best I have ever read, "The Moon's a Balloon" circa 1971 and "Bring on the Empty Horses" circa 1975.   I've read them both, several times and they are a delight, all my old heroes are in there, and a few of my old villains as well.  I'd definitely recommend them if you manage to find a copy.  As for the film, well it's incredibly corny, full of great actors such as Robert Coote, who so many times played the archetype British Gentleman, a brilliant if understated performance by Raymond Massey, even a young Richard Attenborough makes an appearance.  If you want to watch it online, let me know and I'll message you a link.   Bring a hanky, it gets a bit intense at times :-)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Nostalgia is a wonderful thing...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »
I've read both of the books you mention and they were terrific. Niven was an excellent raconteur and, it's probably fair to say, a far better writer than he was an actor. I might just track them down again!

Redundant

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:28:04 PM »
...it's probably fair to say, a far better writer than he was an actor. I might just track them down again!

I'd have to agree, although I still delight in watching some of the films he starred in, it's the books I remember more fondly and revisit on occasion.  I read somewhere that the title "Bring on the Empty Horses" came from the director of the film "Charge of the Light Brigade", apparently they had a large number of riderless horses to demonstrate the loss of life and the director called out 'Bring on the empty horses', much to the amusement of Niven and several others.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:59:54 PM »
I have read only one autobiography and that was of Neils Bohr and his arguments with Albert Einstein about God not playing dice with the universe. I might give the Nivens a read if I find either in the library.

Redundant

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 05:12:12 PM »
I have read only one autobiography and that was of Neils Bohr and his arguments with Albert Einstein about God not playing dice with the universe. I might give the Nivens a read if I find either in the library.

I'm not in your league [clearly] when it comes to Quantum theory, but thank you for filling in several hours of my life as I got hooked on reading and listening to debates on those arguments you mentioned!  Sadly I am a Philistine in regard to making well rounded, well reasoned arguments for or against this or that theory, as such, and in the face of what apparently is undeniable data to prove the opposite...I side with Einstein, I'm just sorry he brought [a] god into it.   I think I preferred "Imagination is more important than knowledge..."  [I suspect a high level of probability that my preference is more or less directly related to my having more of the former than the latter but who truly knows...]

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 05:35:40 PM »
Yes, the debates were cool: Einstein and Bohr both had differing views of reality and yet were the best of friends. The Einstein Box had Bohr stumped, but the next day he had the solution and even used Einstein's theories against him. I would love to have been there for that day.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 08:46:20 PM »
Oh, dear. This is where I weigh in with the theory that David Narey was Dundee United's best ever player.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 09:32:22 PM »
Having just watched David Narey's unbelievable goal against Brazil in 1982, I have to admit that I probably still don't know what I'm talking about.

Redundant

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »
Having just watched David Narey's unbelievable goal against Brazil in 1982, I have to admit that I probably still don't know what I'm talking about.

I think it's called football, or soccer, or something like that, I looked up players of Dundee United, didn't help...

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 06:46:46 PM »
I'm getting to you guys!