Author Topic: It's that time of year again  (Read 3334 times)

Redundant

It's that time of year again
« on: October 26, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
When yours truly will be hanging around local supermarkets [withou getting arrested...again], be-jewelled with a Veteran's Badge and Poppy badge, doing an impression of a man who knows what he is doing and feeling incredibly embarrassed when the odd soul does that American thing and "Thanks me for my Service".  Little do they know I only have two war stories one of which involves throwing food garbage at an Icelandic fishing boat whilst they were throwing fish guts right back at us.  Oh yes, and doing a little number on us by running alongside and putting a thirty foot gash in our ships side at the cost of a coat of paint to them.  Yes, I served in the "Cod War" or as I renamed it [this evening], the "Icelandic Campaign", never got a medal for that one, I thought a Cod's head motif would have been most suitable, alas the Ministry of Defence failed to agree.

Apparently the Isle of Man has, per capita, and for the last thirty odd years, donated the largest amount of money to the Poppy Appeal, yes the populations only 80,000 odd, but they are a generous bunch of souls, and as I have said before, words often fail me when I get to witness their generosity up close and personal.   For a brief moment in time I am glad I joined and feel slightly proud of the Veterans Badge on my lapel, as opposed to more than slightly embarrassed at any other time.

Looking forward to my annual reminder that sometimes there is a lot to like about humanity.  Be well all, and say hello if you pass by with your shopping!!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: It's that time of year again
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:17:06 PM »
I doubt I'll be shopping in the Isle of Man any time soon, but you enjoy yourself. I'd like to say I understood all of that post, but sadly all I understood was that on Poppy Day you went fishing and earned a medal.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 08:19:33 PM »
Don't downplay your efforts in The Cod War - that took guts that did.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Redundant

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
Don't downplay your efforts in The Cod War - that took guts that did.

;D ;D ;D

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 09:27:33 AM »
The scales of war. Thank you for your service.

Redundant

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »
I think you're taking the mackerel, just get your sick squid out of your pocket and into the donation box...

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 12:44:01 AM »
Good on you, Red.

I have to admit that I'm not normally big on the "tin rattlers" (I always feel that if the government did its job properly with taxation and budgeting, charities wouldn't need to hit the streets!), but I'll never pass any of the armed services who are out collecting. Those who will willingly fight to keep me and mine safe should be supported at all times. If I were Prime Minister, I'd gladly pay them all double or treble whatever wages they're on!

I actually wear my poppy (a lovely hi viz type plastic number) all year round. On the occasions when I've been asked why I'm wearing it out of season, so to speak, I tend to reply with, "Why the f**k not?" Usually seems to be a good enough answer...for me at least, anyway!

Hope your tin overflows many times, Red!

And thank you, Sir.

(y)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 07:08:40 PM »
I'm always amazed by the patriotism and support for the armed forces in America. And it seems absolutely genuine. The last time I was in Cody, Wyoming, I strolled out to watch one of those staged "cowboy gunfights" in the street. There were two or three hundred spectators around and, before the show started, the announcer asked if there were any servicemen or women in the crowd. Maybe 10 or 12 stepped forward and each was greeted by rapturous applause. The same happened when the announcer asked for anyone who had RELATIVES in the armed forces. They were all given free admission and souvenirs. Then they played "The Star Spangled Banner" and it was sung with bursting lungs and hand on heart by everyone around. I felt quite guilty as I mumbled the few words I knew but this went unnoticed amid the passion and volume that surrounded me. To be honest, I found it quite emotional---far removed from my reaction to dirges like "God Save the Queen" and "Flower of Scotland".
Despite being a cynical pacifist, I can't begin to express my gratitude to those who have made such sacrifices over the years. I feel desperately sad for those young men and women from the Somme to Afghanistan and everywhere in between. We humans are a horrible lot.

Redundant

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 10:31:03 PM »
Hope your tin overflows many times, Red!

From your post to their pockets  ;D

I'm always amazed by the patriotism and support for the armed forces in America.

It is something to see, and I have witnessed it myself several times, we got as far as issuing veterans badges...   I go along to the local remembrance, although I stand to one side and don't march with the rest of them, mine was a fairly non violent service career [for which I am grateful] so I'm happier watching from the sidelines.   They march pretty well for a bunch of old codgers!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
My daughter's birthday is on Remembrance Day. When she was little, I used to tell her that I'd arranged the various bands marching along our street especially for her.

Redundant

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 07:01:17 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  Brilliant, pure genius.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 02:43:43 PM »
My daughter's birthday is on Remembrance Day. When she was little, I used to tell her that I'd arranged the various bands marching along our street especially for her.

Two out of three of my children have birthdays that coincide with holidays that have public firework displays - saves a fortune :-)
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad