Author Topic: Hope you're all weathering the storm.  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Hope you're all weathering the storm.
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:40:41 PM »
Normally, I'm pretty scathing about the media-induced panic that follows a bit of snow in Britain, but this has been quite nasty. Nothing, of course, compared to what our good friend, Diane, has to cope with in Alberta but still quite nasty. In the likes of Canada and Scandinavia, conditions similar to those we're experiencing at the moment are lengthy, annual events and, therefore, the finances and logistics are put in place. Over here, we're reluctant to spend money on something that may only happen every ten or twelve years so anything more than an inch of snow causes chaos. Growing up in the Highlands of Scotland, I witnessed many an extreme winter, with snowdrifts reaching 12 or 15 feet. As a kid, this was brilliant! I'm a bit more pragmatic these days and the joys of sledging are a very cold, distant memory. (I once sledged down a riverbank and made it half-way across the frozen water before the ice broke. Between bouts of laughter, my friends were very impressed).
Anyway, I hope you're all warm and safe.

Rob Baker

Re: Hope you're all weathering the storm.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:38:45 PM »
It's very wild down here and we haven't seen snow this deep since the early '80s I think.  It's very surreal as it's so quiet outside and you can see for miles even though it's nighttime.    Best thing is, they sent us home from work at lunchtime today, and they've just emailed to say don't come in again 'till Monday   (y).   

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 05:00:08 AM »
It is very windy here with a storm warning tonight. I brought my "Welcome" sign in the house so it doesn't get blown off the siding.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Max

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 03:58:35 PM »
Got a lift into the office on Wednesday with my rucksack and trolley case, the plan was to attend a supplier conference in Bristol on the Thursday.
Lots of snow on the ground in the yard and it's about 500 yards from car park to the office.
Got in around 7 (knackered), had my coffee and settled down to work, flight wasn't until 16:50 on Sleazyjet.
Outside the snow really got heavy, until at 08:30 word came down to get home ASAP, yard was closing.
I hung on a bit because of the conference, until at 9:00 that too was cancelled.
However, the lad who had given me a lift in had gone over to Paisley to sign a contract.
Eventually a kind soul said he would drive me home which we did, through a blizzard.
Been at home ever since, fighting with the company intranet to get online for more than an hour, bloody M.o.D security!
Spent most of this afternoon trying to shift the foot of snow from on and around my car.
I used to like snow as a kid, sadly no more.
Apologies for mini-novel but I think cabin fever has set in.  :o

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »
Well done, Max, I'm proud of you!
I headed down through the snow to the local shops today and found myself facing a row of empty shelves. Delivery problems meant that basics like milk, bread and fresh vegetables had failed to get through. It wasn't all bad news, though. I wrestled the last can of lentil soup from an old lady in one of the aisles. (It was her own fault. She wasn't wearing gloves and her fingers were too cold to maintain a proper grip). I also nicked a mars bar from a kid who had, stupidly, left it sticking out of his anorak pocket.
Like I said, it's not been all bad news.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 07:15:25 PM »
I hear we're going to have another bad spell of wether.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »
I hear we're going to have another bad spell of wether.

Wincey, Mincey!
I apologise, in advance.

peter

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 04:53:59 PM »
and he moans about my spelling sham on you malcolm

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 09:32:30 PM »
You wouldn't believe this guy read almost a thousand books before he was out of his teens.