Author Topic: Surreal Conversation with Ebay  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Surreal Conversation with Ebay
« on: July 15, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »
I just have too much time on my hands:

ME 9:50 AM I don't seem to be able to see my item or reply to the seller.

EBAY 9:53 AM Please do not worry; I am genuinely interested in resolving your concern. Be assured, I will look into all the possible ways to resolve your issue. As the item was removed, the system won't let you leave feedback (no feedback required as this item was already reported and removed). Also you won't be able to contact the seller with this item as it was removed

ME 9:56 AM Why was the item removed?

EBAY 9:57 AM I a sorry but we can't share that However, please understand the item was in breach of some eBay policies due to which it was removed.

ME 9:57 AM Does eBay sometimes remove items because of safety concerns?

EBAY 9:58 AM Mince, we have certainly policies and if the item breaches any of our policy, we remove the item from eBay.

ME 9:58 AM So sometimes you do remove items over concerns about the item's safety?

EBAY 9:59 AM Yes we do that

ME 9:59 AM Was this item removed because of safety concerns?

EBAY 10:00 AM I am sorry but we can't share the reason

ME 10:00 AM The item I have is electrical. If you don't share that information, I will end up using an item that might not be electrically safe.

EBAY 10:02 AM Mince, please understand as per the policies we aren't allowed to share the reason why the item was removed. If you are concerned about the item, you may try to use it and if you face any issue, you may get the item to a repairing shop and get it repaired.

ME 10:04 AM Okay, let me get this right. You say eBay sometimes removes items because of safety concerns. You admit this item may have been removed because of safety concerns. Despite this, you say I can use the item.

EBAY 10:07 AM We have certain policies and we remove the items if the item breach any of our policies

ME 10:07 AM You told me that. You seem to have no system in place to warn eBay customers about potentially dangerous items.

EBAY 10:08 AM If you don't wish to use the item, you may throw it away. You have already received the refund for this item so you may throw it if you are concerned about the safely. You won't be at loss as you have the refund for the item.

ME 10:08 AM That's true. But you removed the seller before a refund was issued.

EBAY 10:09 AM I can completely understand your point but please understand we haven't tested the item so we can't comment if you can use it or not. You have the item with you, right? So you may test it and if it works, you may use it further and if it doesn't , you may throw it or get it repaired. But eBay CAN comment on whether the item was removed because of concerns over safety.

ME 10:10 AM Does eBay have a policy regarding contacting customers about items it believes may be dangerous?

EBAY 10:10 AM I am sorry but we are not allowed to share this information due to some internal policies.

ME 10:11 AM Ebay has internal policies that prevent it from telling customers what its policy is on dangerous items? Are you saying eBay refuses to even tell its customers what its policy is?

EBAY 10:12 AM Please understand I can't comment on this and I can't share the policies

ME 10:12 AM Does eBay take the safety of its customers seriously? Does eBay have ANY policies regarding customer safety?

EBAY 10:14 AM Mince, let me share that this item wasn't removed due to safety reason.

ME 10:14 AM Thank you.

EBAY 10:14 AM You are welcome.

ME 10:14 AM But you have now left me with a second problem. I buy electrical items on eBay. Now let's say I buy an item and after that several customers raise concerns with eBay about the safety of the item and eBay remove the item. Do you contact the other customers who bought the item?

EBAY 10:17 AM If it's a big issue, eBay notify the members

ME 10:17 AM Thank you.

EBAY 10:17 AM You are welcome.

ME 10:18 AM Do you have an eBay page that details this "big issue" policy?

EBAY 10:19 AM No, such issues doesn't occur regularly. It is very rare and if we come across such issues, we notify the members

ME 10:20 AM Okay, and I hope you don't find this question offensive, but if eBay have no official page detailing this, and I have only your word for it, how can I be sure it's correct? After all, at first you told me that eBay does not even divulge this policy.

EBAY 10:21 AM I am sorry if you feel this way but please understand it's very rare and if anything happens like this, you will be notified. Yes we don't share our policy but as you were concerned about the safely about this item. I can share that this item wasn't removed due to any safety reason.

ME 10:23 AM That's two separate policies: one is whether you advise individual customers WHEN THEY ASK, and the other policy is whether you advise customers WHEN EBAY KNOW. I'm getting the impression her that Ebay are quite happy to wait until a customer asks before warning him. And even then he has to insist on an answer, as I did. Would you buy electrical items under these conditions?

EBAY 10:25 AM I am sorry but we can't comment on this

ME 10:26 AM Okay.

EBAY 10:26 AM We can't share the exact reason why the item is being removed or what our internal policy is. However, we can notify you if there is any big issue going on and if it is related to safety of the users.

ME 10:27 AM Okay. Thanks for taking the time to clarify that. I think eBay ought to make this clearer on their web pages. Is there an eBay email address where I pursue this further? I'd like an official response on this. Do you have the eBay email for contacting them?

EBAY 10:33 AM  I am sorry but there is no such email address. However, if you wish to make a complaint, we can arrange an email to be sent to you with the complaint address where you can send your complaint

ME 10:34 AM No, I have an enquiry, not a complaint. Does eBay not even deal with enquiries?

EBAY 10:35 AM I am sorry but we have no email address for that

ME 10:35 AM Then yes, now I have a complaint. Can you give me the complaint email? I wish to complain that eBay have no email for enquiries.

EBAY 10:36 AM Okay. In that case I will arrange an email with the complaint address.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:11:45 PM by Mince »

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Surreal Conversation with Ebay
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 12:06:53 PM »
All that's missing is a Norwegian Blue parrot (deceased).
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 01:10:45 PM »
I got the parrot as well. eBay sent me this email:

Mince, I reviewed the chat details and can see that you are not happy as you feel that we should take complaints via email. However, we do not take complaints via email and we do not have any email for complaints. Members are requested to send their complaints to our address in Dublin.

So I replied with:

No, I do not feel you should take complaints by email. I feel you should take enquiries by email.

And eBay replied with:

Thank you for writing to eBay Customer Service. Your question is very important to us and will be treated with our full attention and respect for your needs. You will receive a response from one of our customer representatives on your specific question within 24 to 48 hours of receipt of this mail.

So apparently they do have an email for enquiries. I'll point this out to them once they reply.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:00:23 PM by Mince »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:03:29 PM »
You make some excellent points---none better than the first line in your first post!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 09:12:19 AM »
I think everyone knows me by now and just throws money at me rather than have to argue with me and lose. You could do the same, if you wish.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 12:30:56 PM »
I'd like to take issue with that...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 02:23:44 PM »
It would be much easier to just give me £20. Amazon did that today to shut me up.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 02:36:54 PM »
Yes, but if everyone did that, you'd be richer than Bill Gates.
I apologise, in advance.