Author Topic: Critter trouble.  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Critter trouble.
« on: July 28, 2018, 09:49:41 PM »
I have an office/studio in my house and, this week, I had some guys in to give it a long overdue paint job. It now looks superb and spanking fresh. I had painstakingly removed the paintings that had adorned the walls and the hundreds of books that cluttered up almost every available space. Having cleaned and dusted all the aforementioned paintings and books, I then set about restoring them to their original positions. It was going well until I started hearing strange noises from my fireplace. (It has long been blocked off with cardboard). I came to the conclusion that something alive was lurking within. It sounded like a bird but what if it was a really annoyed rat? I did what any red-blooded male would do and called for my wife. "Leave it", was her first response but that wasn't an option. If it WAS a bird that had got stuck down the chimney, then I couldn't possibly leave it to a slow, horrible death. Her next suggestion was to open the window and take away the cardboard from the fireplace. I pointed out that, if it was indeed a bird, it would fly around my newly-painted office with soot-covered wings for a long time before it found the open window. It was then decided that we would cover the fireplace with a sheet before removing the cardboard. At this stage, my wife opted for leaving the room and awaiting the outcome. With sheet in place, I pulled the cardboard away and all hell broke loose. I'd trapped something huge and it was determined to get away. I bundled the sheet corners together and headed outside. I was about to release a badger, a fox or, although unlikely, a mountain lion.

It was a pigeon. And it took off happily and immediately as soon as I opened the sheet. My wife now thinks I'm a hero. I didn't tell her the bit about me fainting .

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: Critter trouble.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 11:12:27 PM »
It probably crapped all over your house as it flew away.

Also, what would you have done if the room wasn't being painted and it was trapped behind a pile of General Custard books?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:14:47 PM by Mince »

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 11:41:35 PM »
You were very brave, it could have ripped your throat out. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 09:10:35 AM »
Has the pigeon been back to thank you yet?

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 12:01:20 PM »
That's a thought - could be a homing pigeon.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 02:24:54 PM »
But then it would have flown back to its home, not to Roger's house. The clue is in the wording.