Author Topic: Way Too Much Time on My Hands  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Way Too Much Time on My Hands
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »
Okay, so who wants to hear about my big fight with PayPoint and Amazon?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Way Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 06:43:21 PM »
Okay!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 07:09:55 PM »
Does that mean you do?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 07:51:07 PM »
Yes, it does and don't skimp on the details.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 11:01:29 PM »
 <-
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 08:30:04 PM »
Come on, then! What happened?

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 08:59:41 AM »
So this all happened on 29 JUN 2018.

Amazon had this gift card top-up offer: if you top-up £40 at a shop that supports PayPoint, you get £10 extra free. So my wife, my friend and I decided to avail ourselves of this offer at the nearby Co-op. Back home, we discovered that only one of the top-ups was successful. For the other two, we received the following email.

There has been an unsuccessful Amazon Top Up transaction
We incorrectly added funds to your Amazon.co.uk Gift Card balance as a result of an unsuccessful Amazon Top Up transaction. We understand that you were not charged for this transaction and have removed the incorrectly added funds.

Amount removed: -£40.00

Notice that it specifically states that "you were not charged", even though my credit card statement said, "You were charged". Several phone calls followed at this point in which I became the ball in a game of phone tennis.

CREDIT CARD COMPANY: "We can't cancel the transaction as we're pretty much useless."

AMAZON LIVE CHAT: "You need to get a refund from the shop."

CO-OP (Manager): "Ring PayPoint."

PAYPOINT: "This is an automated response and we'll ring you back tomorrow."

I rang the shop manager again and insisted she ring through to PayPoint, which she did, returning with instructions to ring Amazon to explain that the two missing £40 were something called "Ghost Voids", and to ask them to honour the receipt I had received from the shop. I tried Amazon Live Chat and the representative I was assigned quickly assured me he would solve my problem and eventually found this book for me. I rang Amazon, and was put through to what I can only describe as a marijuana-smoking snail, a slow-talking, slow-understanding oddity who kept putting me on hold (presumable to take a few puffs) while he conducted an investigation, the first twenty minutes of which finally led him to the email I had been sent, which he read out to me with a sense of achievement. When I finally got him to admit he had no idea what a ghost void was, I hung up on him.

I rang the shop again, and the manager again rang PayPoint, and they again told her to tell me to ring Amazon, this time using the words "auto cancellation" instead of "ghost void", which they might understand better. I did so, and again they had no idea what this was and asked me to return to PayPoint.

I rang the shop a third time and just asked for a refund, and the manager agreed to this. She actually turned out to be a wonderful person who spent considerable time dealing with PayPoint, a company that seemed to be under the impression that when they messed up, they could ask the customer to sort it all out for them. I returned to the shop and was given a refund.

But of course I had already wasted three hours of my time getting that refund, and there was no way I was going to let that drop. So I rang PayPoint and put my number into their automated system for a ringback.

I'll put on the next instalment, where I begin playing tennis with PayPoint and Amazon, later.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 09:29:05 AM by Mince »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 09:07:32 AM »
Well done! I have no idea what any of that is about but well done!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 10:05:17 AM »
Then I'll cut the story short. PayPoint have given me in writing that Amazon should honour a PayPoint topup receipt, even if the topup fails. Amazon have given me in writing that they do not need to honour the receipt and the customer should go back to PayPoint. So I gave this to Trading Standards, and they say one or both companies has breached two consumer protection regulations: "restricting liability" and "misleading actions".

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »
Amazon have admitted liability, and have offered £20, and then £50. I told them I want £190.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 07:57:29 AM »
I thought it might be more interesting than the other topic but I just can't work up the enthusiasm to read the bulk of the post.

well done/that's too bad.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »
well done/that's too bad.

Neatly covered all the bases there, Diane.  (y)
I apologise, in advance.