Author Topic: Puzzle  (Read 21640 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Puzzle
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 06:25:18 PM »
I've just popped in to say that the question about colouring in the names of football teams is the stupidest I've ever heard.
Carry on.

Malky

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 11:55:22 PM »
The barefoot player was of course Tony the Tiger in the Frosties ad.

That bit of trivia is gr-r-r-r-reat!

Fyodor

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2006, 06:42:30 PM »
A wee bit late, but:  10 10 10 ? 950

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2006, 10:31:52 PM »
Fyodor, that is absolutely brilliant. Ten, ten, ten, Christmas tree, nine hundred and fifty. I knew it was something like that.

Tom

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2006, 03:34:15 AM »
Fyodor, that is absolutely brilliant. Ten, ten, ten, Christmas tree, nine hundred and fifty. I knew it was something like that.

I thought my answer of it being incorrect was stretching it a bit... by the way, what does an equals sign with a slash through it actually mean?

Malky McG

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2006, 06:25:00 AM »
It means "gonna git me sum".

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2006, 10:17:47 AM »
No, you put the - across the top of the second vertical line to make it say 10 TO 10... ten to ten being 9:50

Fyodor, this correct answer given earlier could have been a good clue!  ::)
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Fyodor

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2006, 10:30:42 AM »
One prefers one's own answer.
One's solution (in words for your benefit Mr. Kettle [sometimes life must be earnest]) is simply this:
                ten  ten  ten  is not equal to nine hundred and fifty,
A fact one challenges you to disprove.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2006, 11:02:15 AM »
Yes, but that wasn't one of the symbols you were limited to using in the puzzle!

Malky

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2006, 12:26:49 AM »
Neither was a full stop given as an allowed symbol, it was necessary to turn 950 into 9.50

My Tony the Tiger question was the best.

Tom

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2006, 02:58:24 AM »
My Tony the Tiger question was the best.

No, my stick one was trickier. And the rainbow one had everyone puzzled. Your Tony one was good though.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 03:12:48 AM by Tom »

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2006, 01:43:58 PM »
Here's a good one. You don't need to be a mathematician to solve this one.

A man (and mathematician) wishes to know for each house in a street the number of children and their ages. At one house, he is greeted by a woman who tells him that she has three children whose ages multiply to give her age, 36. She also tells him that their ages add to the house number. The man makes a mental note of the house number, thanks the woman, and leaves. But on his way to the next house he realises that he still cannot work out the ages of the children. And so he returns to the house. The woman tells him, "The youngest one is at Grandma's house." The man smiles and notes down the ages of the children.

How old are the children? Explain your reasoning.

Malky McG

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2006, 09:31:30 PM »
What kind of society do we live in where people voluntarily give out information to any eejit who happens to knock on their door?

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2006, 09:51:37 PM »
This is hypothetical puzzle world, in which there is no crime, no unsavoury people, and no annoying tossers who raise random objections when confronted with a puzzle they can't solve.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2006, 11:53:36 PM »
Here's a good one. You don't need to be a mathematician to solve this one.

A man (and mathematician) wishes to know for each house in a street the number of children and their ages. At one house, he is greeted by a woman who tells him that she has three children whose ages multiply to give her age, 36. She also tells him that their ages add to the house number. The man makes a mental note of the house number, thanks the woman, and leaves. But on his way to the next house he realises that he still cannot work out the ages of the children. And so he returns to the house. The woman tells him, "The youngest one is at Grandma's house." The man smiles and notes down the ages of the children.

How old are the children? Explain your reasoning.

They are 2, 3 and 6. That's because I can't think of 3 other fairly close ages that multiply to give 36, unless the youngest was only 1. e.g: 1, 4 and 9 or 1, 2 and 18. However, I don't think one child could be 1, because then the age isn't actually being "multiplied " when combined with another age.

If the youngest was a twin like me (I'm 9 hours younger than my brother), then there would be two kids of 2 and one of 9, or two kids of 1 and one of 36, but I have a feeling they are to be three different ages. Also a 36 year old kid would be too old to have a grandmother in all probablility.

Unless it's the Grandmother of Horace, that is. Maybe Horace has two siblings....? No, the Grandmother there would be constantly out on the raz in her insatiable quest for lumberjacks and bourbon.